BDI patches break installation and browsing

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Oct 28 15:09:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 22:59, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> On Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2008, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> > Yes for e.g. cciss block devices.
>>
>> What do you need bdi for? These are kernel memory management backing
>> devices, and have no meaning for the actual blockdevice's device.
>
> It was the only way to add the cciss blockdevices to the device tree on the
> test machine. But I check this again.

Bdi is created for every block device, and all other
storage/filesystem related things devices which take "buffers" in the
kernel, including nfs, fuse mounts, and so on. It does not tell you if
the block device has a parent bus or not, or is "virtual" or not. It's
basically just an interface to control the amount of memory a device
can use to cache its stuff.

We would just need to special case cciss, I guess, and handle it
similar to dm, which also has no parents.

Kay