Adds additional CPU details fields.

Martin S. compiz at sukimashita.com
Thu Sep 4 04:08:50 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 10:51 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> +++ Darryl L. Pierce [03/09/08 10:50 -0400]:
> >The following fields will now reported for each CPU:
>
> This patch supercedes the previous one, which inadvertantly contained
> debugging code.

I had approached your idea back in April 2007 already as I think this is
valuable information to have in HAL.

See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-April/007978.html
and http://media.sukimashita.com/temp/00-hal-processor-cpuinfo-1.png

It was basically rejected (on IRC) because the whole /proc/cpuinfo was
better suited in sysfs (which apparently is the correct "upstream"). The
labels differ from processor/architecture and there is no common spec
for the contents even among similar archs.

Long time ago I checked LKML and there was some movement to deprecate
the old cpuinfo and implement a standardized sysfs CPU info interface.

There had been working "corpse patches" on the LKML, not sure where this
is now...

Also, did you think about:
- FreeBSD? Solaris?
- That different CPUs expose different cpuinfo labels?
- PPC? ARM? IA64? Sparc? ...

Hope we get somewhere this time either upstream or in HAL. :)

Cheers,

--- Martin S.