BUG wrong values for battery

Paul Menzel pm.debian at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:03:38 PDT 2009

Dear Andrwe,

Am Samstag, den 04.04.2009, 15:22 +0200 schrieb Andrwe Lord Weber:

> hal sets wrong values for the battery on my laptop.
>
> my Configuration:
> - gentoo-sources
> - hal version 0.5.12_rc1 with the USE-Flags "X acpi crypt kernel_linux
> laptop".
> - "sysfs" is activated in kernel
>
> These variables are wrong:
>
> battery.charge_level.percentage
> battery.charge_level.rate
> battery.reporting.rate
>
> It seems to me the percentage is calculated by the following formula on
> my system:
>
> battery.charge_level.percentage = battery.charge_level.current /
> battery.charge_level.design * 100
>
> This is the reason why I get 65 % as maximum percentage.
>
> The *.rate variables have a maximum value of 2500 if I compile
> something. This cause a remaining time >20 hours.

As far as I know HAL just reports the values from the Linux kernel(?)
and it is a well known bug there. Some batteries report the absolute
current and others a percentage and there is now way to decide which
does what. You can find more information in the thread of [1].

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.bughost.org/pipermail/power/2008-November/001502.html