Strange mounting issue with ext3

Maciej Grela maciej.grela at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 05:02:25 PDT 2009

2009/4/7 Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Roderich Schupp
> <roderich.schupp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>>> The proper solution is to make the root of the filesystem owned and/or
>>> writable by your user of choice. This is the part you should do after
>> What is needed here is a new mount option: "forget about the
>> uids on the drive, just pretend any file is owned by the mounting user".
>
> Which can be translated as "just unscrew any disk, put it into a cheap
> USB sleeve et voila, readable root files with no unix knowledge!"

UIDs on ext3 are hardly a security feature against someone taking your
disk and reading data from it. Ozan's point is a valid one. Does
anyone know how Windows deals with this fact when you create an NTFS
filesystem on a usb stick, write some files on it under your user's
account and then try to open them on another computer ? I think this
is a common scenario.

Best regards,
Maciej Grela