Strange mounting issue with ext3

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Apr 9 07:28:47 PDT 2009

pgf at laptop.org wrote:

> i guess i don't understand this.  user-permission-squashed only
> makes explicit what is already implicitly true -- i.e., if you
> don't have control over who's plugging in the drive, then how do
> you have control over whether they're root or not?  if you do
> have control, then then don't set up the system to do squashed
> mounts.  if you don't, then, well, shouldn't you give up on the
> sanctity of uid?

The OP wanted this set as the HAL default mounting when you plug in
a ext3 formatted memory stick. I was pointing out why I think it is
a bad idea.

Now, when it comes to controlling who can plug in drives, there are
lots of cases where you want people to be able to be able to plug in
drives and have them mounted, but do not trust them with root access.

For example, a home system where you want the kids to be able to
copy their homework file to a pen drive to take them to the library
or over to a friends house. but you want to limit what they can do.

In an office, you may have employees that need to take files with
them. Or they may work at home part of the time.

In any case, you want to limit them from accessing another person's
files. This is why you set up different accounts with their own
passwords in the first place.

Mikkel