How to make hal pick reliably up a new configuration file

Michael T raselmsh at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 07:35:42 PDT 2009

Hello Patrick,

Patryk Zawadzki <patrys <at> pld-linux.org> writes:
> First, you might want to use /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ instead, that's
> where local customizations are supposed to live.
Thanks for the reply.

I did that originally, but ran into several problems with the file not being
picked up.  I will try again, perhaps I did something else wrong as well.

> Second, if stopping and starting hald does not fix your problem then
> it has nothing to do with HAL not picking up new config files. Make
> sure your rules are correct (observe lshal when it does not work,
> check udev device list).
A system where it reliably fails to work has lshal listing a PCI device with the
product string "VirtualBox Guest Service".  Is that not enough for the file I
posted to take effect?

Regards,

Michael