Some ideas/questions.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Tue Apr 14 06:17:02 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've been working on a construction which adds an autofs managed
mountpoint to the homedirectory for USB devices (local hardware) and
network connections.

This looks like:

/home/sbon/Connections

is the base directory for all kinds of connections (network, all kind of
hardware)

Earlier I've been working on a construction to create a browseable
network map here, also with autofs.
Network resources like SMB shares, FTP servers and SSH access is
possible. (SMB via cifs, FTP via curlftpfs/FUSE, SSH via sshfs/FUSE).
Access to Novell networks should also be possible.

Now about devices. When I add a device during my session, the (virtual)
directory Devices (or you can name it Media) is added, and therein my
USB stick:

/home/sbon/Connections/Devices/USB_DISK_Pro

Other devices should also appear in this directory.
I do not have published this yet anywhere, but it is simular to the one
you can find here:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Autofs#UDEV_with_autofs

The big difference with my construction is that the mountpoint is *in*
the users homedirectory, not in /media: direct accessible for users from
their homedirectory, where going to a "foreign" place like /media is not
that userfriendly. This also counts for the networkconnections. I've
described this here:

http://linux.bononline.nl/linux/automountsmbshares/index.php

The result is a map in the homedirectory of the user, where all kinds of
connections are available:

/home/sbon/Connections/Devices/Flash_Disk
                                                        USB_DISK_Pro
                                          Network/FTP
                                                          SSH Access
                                                          Windows Network

Now, with my desktop environment (KDE 4.2) the integration with the USB
devices is not that good, which has to with hal, as you maybe already
know. Hal mounts devices at /media, not in a subdirectory of the users home.

Now, my first question. Isn't it a good idea to make hal use the
mountdirectory of the user, like above. As I've already said this is far
more userfriendly.

The second is the cooperation with autofs. Let the mountpoints be
handled by autofs, which is the tool to do that. Mountoptions can be
parsed, as well as the mounpoints and the device.

Stef Bon