Hal and autofs.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Thu Apr 16 05:27:12 PDT 2009

Hi,

as I've described in a previous mail (
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2009-April/013208.html )
I think that cooperation with autofs is a good idea.

In the configuration it should be a choice to make the automounter do
the mounting (which is good at it), or do it the way the're handled at
this moment.

Futher, and here I've been working on a construction for that, mounting
should be done in a subdirectory of the users homedirectory, not on a
"foreign" place like /media. Make users work and understand on a
Linuxmachine requires a workable environment. Central place where all
the things an ordinary user is working on, is the users homedirectory.
So this also counts for the dynamically added mountpoints.

My construction, in short creates a "Connections" map in the
homedirectory, where, after login, two mountpoints are added to the
automounter maps, one for access to the network, another for access to
local devices (or media as you like):

/home/sbon/Connections/Media
                                          Network

To achieve this with hal, hal should parse device information to the
automounter (device uuid, label, mountoptions), as well as the users
which are active on the system, which should have access to this device
and have a homedirectory. This is not so hard, only autofs should have
an interface to dbus. Autofs should inform other systems via dbus the
device is mounted or not...

For a normal system (desktop) normally there is only one user. Only on
multisession system like an NX server, multiseat and Xen, there are more
users for which this device should be available.

What do you think?? I'm not a maintainer of autofs, I'm just working
with autofs and having this idea.

Looking forward to your reaction,

Stef Bon
the Netherlands