Duplicate UDIs for a single device

Drew Moseley dmoseley at mvista.com
Wed Apr 22 13:34:17 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm tracking an issue in version 0.5.11.  Occasionally I see two UDIs
entered for my wlan device:

# hal-find-by-capability --capability net.80211
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_13_e0_cc_c9_02_0
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_13_e0_cc_c9_02

This appears to occur due to a race condition between the coldplug_synthesize_events()
loop and hotplug events coming in from udev.  In the failure scenario, I am seeing
a hotplug event for the device-add being processed before the coldplug loop has completed.

I see several patches in the code that appear to address multiple devices and proper
sequencing but none seem to fix my particular failure.

Any idea how to fix this?  Should the hotplug events be processed before the
coldplug_synthesize_events loop is complete?

Regards,
Drew Moseley