Problems with mounting removable Devices

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Apr 23 10:12:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 18:17 +0200, Dirk wrote:
> nah... my best chance to stop the development of a hal is to damage
> motivation by trolling this mailing list... :)

Dirk, I suggest you find something more useful to do instead of wasting
peoples time. Either way, you are now moderated.

Suffice to say, as has been announced on this list too many times to
remember, people are already working hard on rewriting what HAL is
doing. I expect around that Fedora 13's default desktop install will not
include HAL.

It's not like we don't know HAL needs to go (cf. Brook's famous quote
"always plan to throw one away, you will anyway"), it's just a lot of
work and desktop integration don't get easier just because we rewrite
parts of the stack. It's not helping that people want to add features to
HAL either (and this is mostly why I don't follow this list anymore).

FWIW, this is not really any different from other projects; it's not
like the various desktop shell, kernels or driver framework haven't been
rewritten many times. And it's not like the projects replacing HAL
(because the idea of HAL _is_ useful (even with such a terrible name)
e.g. meaning there is something to replace) are that much different from
HAL, we're just cutting the cake in different ways and leaving out all
the crap we don't need.

     David