Unwanted events from DVB remote

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 11:11:57 PDT 2009

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:23:43 -0700
Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:
> > My DVB card has a remote control which Linux sees as an input device. I
> > want to be able to use it by reading its /dev/input/event* node
> > directly, but there are unwanted side effects because it also generates
> > events on /dev/console for certain keys which have analogues on a
> > standard keyboard and pressing its power button causes a shutdown.

[Snip]

> If you only want X to access the device, you can use evdev's
> GrabDevice option.
>
> <merge key="input.x11_options.GrabDevice" type="string">True</merge>
>
> This means that you won't be able to use the device with lirc, though,
> since the events will only be received by X.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Unfortunately it's the opposite of what I
really want, because I want a specific application to use the remote and
be able to distinguish between it and a real keyboard. But if X can grab
the device, maybe my application cn grab it instead. Do you know how the
grab is achieved, with a flag to open() or an ioctl()/fcntl() or
something?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk