use util-linux-ng's libblkid instead of libvolume_id

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:53:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com> wrote:

>  Good work, the patch looks good. Few nits:
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:10:57PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> +blkid_module="blkid >= 1.99"
>
>  I'm not sure if this is really the final blkid version number for
>  util-linux-v2.15. I need to talk about it with Ted -- unfortunately
>  he is probably too busy now... (The current version in e2fsprogs is 1.41
>  and I hope this version will be freezed -- in such case we can use
>  something better than 1.99 -- for example 1.43 or so.)

In general, people really prefer to use the package version as the
pkg-config version. Using anything else (like the .so version) just
means that people have to figure out a mapping back to the package
version anyway. If you just have "blkid >= 2.15", then it's really
simple to figure out what you need to install. Grab util-linux-v2.15
and you're ready to go.

libvolume_id.pc having a different version than udev was not fun. It
meant that all spec files using libvolume_id needed to carry a comment
explaining what the package wanted vs. what udev to require. And if
you didn't have a new enough libvolume_id, it meant that you had to
download a bunch of tarballs or go digging through gitweb to find out
when the newer version appeared.

Look at all the .pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. I would wager that
the overwhelming majority match .pc version to package version. As an
example:

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
gtk2-devel-2.12.12-2.fc9.i386
$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
2.12.12

--