use util-linux-ng's libblkid instead of libvolume_id

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:11:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Scott James Remnant <scott at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 06:53 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  Good work, the patch looks good. Few nits:

>> >  I'm not sure if this is really the final blkid version number for
>> >  util-linux-v2.15. I need to talk about it with Ted -- unfortunately
>> >  he is probably too busy now... (The current version in e2fsprogs is 1.41
>> >  and I hope this version will be freezed -- in such case we can use
>> >  something better than 1.99 -- for example 1.43 or so.)
>>
>> In general, people really prefer to use the package version as the
>> pkg-config version. Using anything else (like the .so version) just
>> means that people have to figure out a mapping back to the package
>> version anyway. If you just have "blkid >= 2.15", then it's really
>> simple to figure out what you need to install. Grab util-linux-v2.15
>> and you're ready to go.
>>
> I must admit that it occurred to me that one simple way to solve it
> would be to call the blkid-from-util-linux 2.x

Fortunately, the util-linux version is newer, so you don't have any
headaches with versions moving backwards. However, the point I was
really trying to make is that as a consumer of libblkid, I only really
care about the package version. I also care when the .so version
bumps, but there will certainly be a package version bump coinciding.
I don't care about the internal version of the library.

--
Dan