Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?

Corentin Chary corentin.chary at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 05:40:28 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Alan Jenkins<alan-jenkins at tuffmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Corentin Chary wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Matthew Garrett<mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>>> I believe the SMC driver for the Apples does it via LED, so it might
>>> make sense to be consistent with that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
>>
>> So it will be a led.
>
> I think you should also match the LED name used by the apple driver.  As
> far as I know it's the only sensible way for userspace to identify the
> LED.  The SMC driver uses "smc::kbd_backlight",  so something like
> "eeepc::kbd_backlight".

Not an eeepc, but yeah, it will be asus::kbd_backlight

>> There is another problem, Fn+F3/F4 generate ACPI events
>>
>> Fn+F3 : hotkey ATKD 000000c5 00000000
>> Fn+F4 : hotkey ATKD 000000c4 00000000
>>
>> Fn+F3: decreases keyboard brightness
>> Fn+F4: increases keyboard brightness
>>
>> Should we handle these events with acpi scripts or directly in the driver ?
>> IMHO it can be done directly in the driver, like LCD On/Off keys.
>>

> Userspace should take charge of changing the brightness.  It would be
> good to generate input events (KEY_KBDILLUMUP etc) as well though.
>
> Hopefully hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight already responds to
> KEY_KBDILLUM*.  If so, then one could use Hal along with an FDI file
> like the apple one
> (<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012360.html>).
> That's close to what we should ultimately be aiming for, except for the
> specific match on "smc::kbd_backlight".  It would be great to just have
> one rule matching on *::kbd_backlight.

Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged upstream.

So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
Patch can be found here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html

Thanks,
--