Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?

Corentin Chary corentin.chary at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 08:50:32 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>> Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
>> The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged
>> upstream.
>>
>> So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
>> Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
>> Patch can be found here:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html
>
> This patch is not needed. There is a generic addon for the leds subsystem in
> HAL.
>
> Check out:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal-spec-git/hal-spec.html#interface-device-leds
>
> If there is any problem with this addon, let me know.
>
> Danny

It seems there is also a KeyboardBacklight interface which is what we
want, but I didn't find how to use it
without an addon (like addon-macbookpro-backlight).

Summary of the thread:
Asus U50 provide a keyboard backlight, I didn't know how to expose
that to userspace.
Matthew told me that in Apples, the SMC driver expose the keyboard
backlight as a led.
Then Alan found hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight to plug the led subsystem and
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface.

What we want to do is change the brightness when KEY_KBDILLUM* is pressed.

I believe that we need a keyboard backlight addon that respond to  KEY_KBDILLUM*
and update the corresponding /sys/class/vendor:color:kbd_backlight.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net - http://uffs.org