Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Aug 6 03:48:39 PDT 2009

On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
> Hi Danny,
> I was trying to add keyboard_backlight.num_levels support for your modified
> led-addon. But there is something I don't understand :-
> keyboard_backlight.num_levels is used in:
> - examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
> - fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-macbookpro-utils.fdi
> - kde/solid/hal/halpower.cpp
> But it is not defined in doc/spec/hal-spec-properties.xml.
>
> Should I make another patch to fix hal-spec-properties ?

Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the affected
device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device is), we don't
need a num_levels for it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;hb=HEAD

"... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a value
0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will just be
turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."

Danny