begging you : please do something for nv cards in hal

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Dec 4 10:58:42 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 07:37:31PM +0100, schmirrwurst at googlemail.com wrote:
> Le vendredi 4 décembre 2009 19:23:40, vous avez écrit :
> > kernel. It's not acceptable
> > for hal to touch registers that may be used by other code.
> >
> I understand all those nice rules, but if kernel doesn't do anything, should
> users do, wait until hw is obselete ? Nvidia has a market share from about
> 35%...

Users are (as is always the case with Linux) free to do whatever they
want. However, hal is not a hardware driver. It's therefore not
acceptable for hal to modify device registers directly. That's the
kernel's responsibility.

> -Hal say mus be done by kernel

Right.

> -kernel say it's a platform driver issue

Occasionally. Sometimes it's a gpu driver issue, hence nouevau's support
for backlight control.

> I'm following this issue 2 years ago, and NOTHING has been done, now some
> people have bought brand new hw, and they will probably wait a long time until
> something happen, if things are going further like this

Your only choice is to use nouveau or not to buy nvidia.

> I though it was the aim of linux being usable on different hw platforms...

It is, but the only way to achieve that is by implementing software
properly rather than providing hacks that make things work in the short
term but increase long-term instability and risk hardware damage.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org