Changing hal-info to have X friendly key symbols

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 06:35:59 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:48:43PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
>> So I propose that we change those mappings to a key symbol < 256, so
>> that they will actually be useful. In particular,
>>
>>   displaytoggle -> switchvideomode
>>   dvd -> media
>
> I'm happy with these specific changes, but not with it as a general
> policy. X is not the only consumer of keybindings on the system, and we
> simply don't have enough space in the <255 space to fit every key that
> we want.
>
> Note that this can be fixed with Xi2 - it's not necessary to break the
> core protocol. The similarity in names with X12 is unfortunate. It'd be
> nice to see more developer work in this field rather than coming up with
> increasingly awkward compromises to avoid the limitation.

Unfortunately, this is still a blue sky future since no one is working
on this and there are only 2 people qualified to do the work. I would
expect it to be at least a couple Xorg releases until > 255 is a
possibility.

In today's world, Martin's proposal makes sense. Neither Daniel nor
Peter has given any notion that they're going to start working on
this.

--
Dan