Switch power for builtin laptop hardware

Bart Hartgers bart.hartgers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:32:08 PST 2009

Hi,

I was wondering if there already exists a method to handle switching
builtin laptop hardware on/off. I looked around in the git hal code,
but couldn't find a definite answer.

My EEPC can switch power for its webcam and cardreader, in addition to
the bluetooth adapter and wifi card. These last two are handled via
the
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch" interface. While this
interface is also suited for other devices, it seems to be intended
for radios.

I've already hacked some hal-files to enable the switch also for the
other devices, but I am not sure this is the way to go. At the very
least I think there should be some property added to tell whether a
device is a radio or something else. (This to allow a single "all
radios off" button for air-travellers.)

Any thoughts on this? Or should I just send a patch and wait for comments?

Groeten,
Bart

Bart Hartgers - New e-mail: bart.hartgers at gmail.com