add Qualcomm 3G modem info to hal-info

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Feb 26 08:52:32 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:07:06AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 14:13 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > Below is a patch against the latest hal-info git tree that adds support
> > for Qualcomm's new 3G modem.  There's only one port bound to by the
> > driver (which is in the linux-next tree if anyone wants it), so no need
> > to specify the specific port.
> >
> > If there's any problem with this, please let me know.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> >
> > ----------
> > From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh at suse.de>
> > Subject: Add Quallcom 3G modem information.
> >
> > It only has 1 port
>
> Which driver drives it, and what's the brand name?  I'm pretty sure the
> new "GOBI" CDMA+EVDO+UMTS+HSPA all-in-one modems don't have Linux
> support...

As I mention above, a new driver is needed for this device.  The driver
is in the linux-next tree and will be in the 2.6.30 kernel and is called
qcserial.c.  I've attached it to this message as well, as it's tiny.

As for the "brand name" it's an internal modem in a laptop and has no
"brand name" as it can not be bought on its own as far as I know.

thanks,

greg k-h