question on SCSI-scanners

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Sun Jan 4 11:08:36 PST 2009

Dear listmembers,
imagine I have a SCSI-scanner that is detected and listed by hald, because to
my current understanding the udev - event of generated device-nodes is being
passed to hald (?).

Now, what steps would be neccessary to make this device accessible to a
regular user? Initially the permissions come up with

/dev/sg2  root.root 0660

what clearly excludes anyone except root from accessing this device. If I
understood correctly an acl-rule would be required?

Is there any good reason to create the device like this (i.e. owner / group
root.root) in contrast what happens usually to usb-scanners (root.lp /
root.scanner)?

Could some nice soul provide some hints how to dig into this xml-stuff and to
understand _what_ needs to happen in order to provide the user access and how
this is happening?

Any pointer is highly appreciated. Most documentation refers to block devices
and mounting - but I have a character device here and the only task that
needs to be accomplished is to provide access to users besides root.

The latest opensuse distribution unfortunately does not provide any access to
a scsi-scanner but through the net-interface via localhost for non-root
users - what seems like "from one's back through the chest into the eye" to
stress a German saying - it is complicated and hard to explain to anyone.

By the way: I have tried to read David Zeuthen's article on hal (Desktop And
Hardware Configuration) that says pci, usb, block and net devices are handled
(but I'm talking about a character special device, right?), I've been looking
into "Making Hardware Just Work" by Havoc(?) and "HAL and device management"
from www.mythic-beasts.com/~mark/random/hal, but I haven't got a clue so far
on how to proceed here.

The documentation within the hal-sources is difficult to understand, basically
I'd have to understand the source code.

Any help, any suggestions are largely appreciated,
thank you for taking the time to read,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)