Optical media reprobing after burning

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Jan 29 05:48:26 PST 2009

On Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2009, Philippe Rouquier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once an optical medium was burnt, hal doesn't update its status
> automatically (that's not always true for DVDs especially when burnt
> with growisofs which get updated I don't know why).

HAL can't know when the device finished the burn process if there is no event
via udev. Don't know what growisofs do different here, maybe it repost the
volume somehow.

> So the said medium
> remains blank from hal's point of view unless you reload it manually.

You don't need to reload it manually, you can also eject and reload the device
via the Eject() and CloseTray() D-Bus methodes at the
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage interface.

> Now, I saw there were two functions to do that from an app
> (libhal_device_reprobe () and libhal_device_rescan ()). But it does not
> work because the application is not running as privileged from what I
> understood.

Only root or HAL itself is allowed to use the Reprobe()/ Rescan() D-Bus
methodes for security reasons.

> So my question is there a way to make hal aware of the change in the
> medium status? Or do I use the above two functions in the wrong way?

Simply eject and close the device as e.g. k3b do.