Mounts with fstab entries should succeed if mount points are identical

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Tue Jul 14 11:38:23 PDT 2009

Hi Ludwig,

Ludwig Nussel wrote

> Looks like SLES10 has a patch that implements that logic:
>
> Fri May 19 16:18:29 CEST 2006 - dkukawka at suse.de
> - added patches:
>   - hal-fix-mount_device_fstab_with_user_option_172870.diff: fix
>     for bug #172870 to allow mount partitions which are in fstab
>     with option user
>
> The patch probably was never included upstream. Meanwhile the mount
> helper was rewritten in C without that feature.

do you see a chance to implement that feature in hal? Would you consider
it useful? Regarding the benefits it has w.r.t. the solution with fixed
mount points, and for using tools like growisofs from dvd+rw-tools,
that use "umount" instead of "halmount"?
I guess it shouldn't harm any other use of hal to have that feature, should it?

We've a Novell SLED support case open for the issue of fixed mount points
and the use of dvd+rw-tools, the id is #10490806241. If you are interested,
feel free to take part in the discussion there. Maybe there are alternative
solutions for SLED/S, or maybe it is possible to develope a patch for hal
within the scope of this case.

cu,
Frank

--