HAL freezes system on my ARM board

Jitesh Shah jiteshs at marvell.com
Thu Jul 30 05:05:29 PDT 2009

Hi,
So, I just built HAL for ARM. (I am using the source's from the fedora's
repo. No modifications were needed). But, whenever I start HAL the
system freezes within 1-2 seconds. (Its not just that the I/O devices
stop responding. The entire system just freezes). I have never had any
experience with HAL and hence, cannot get very far with debugging it.
How to debug HAL?

The first thing I did was to disable HAL in startup and start it
manually as:
/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes
(output attached. Might not be complete because the last lines could
have been lost due to the system freeze. Not sure though)

There are some "/dev/(null)" values in the log? is it normal? I concede
that I couldn't get much out of the log.

Also, attaching the lshal output and the /sys directory tree.

The HAL version I am using: hal-0.5.12-26.20090226git.fc11.armv5tel
Environment: Fedora 11 on ARM (armv5te cpu) and kernel-2.6.29.4-167

Do point me in the right direction so that I have atleast a starting
point to start nailing the issue.

Regards,
Jitesh