hal scripts cannot do INT32

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed Jun 10 09:31:19 PDT 2009

On Mittwoch, 10. Juni 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:51:42PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 13:35, <danny at mailmij.org> wrote:
[...]
> > > Only a 16 bit integer can be read like this, and thus my hal version is
> > > wrapping the 1000 possible brightness levels returned by sysfs.

Which userspace application needs 1000 brightness levels? IMO it would be
better to map them to maybe max. 25-100 (e.g. as percentage).

> > > I'm not sure if the plan is to remove all the shell scripts and move to
> > > C, or that everybody is sue 16 bits are enough even although the api
> > > specifies a 32 bit int.
> >
> > We are currently moving away from HAL to DeviceKit, so any major
> > changes in HAL seem unlikely. For new stuff DeviceKit-power,
> > DeviceKit-disks should be focused on.
>
> We're still using hal for backlight control, and this is something that
> really should be fixed. It should be easy enough to replace the scripts.

There is no need to fix this. Yes, the scripts have some limitations, but you
can simply use/write an addon, as we already do e.g. for the generic
backlight support under Linux (hald/linux/addons/addon-generic-backlight.c).

Danny