device drivers using hal

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Jun 30 07:32:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 23:48, Graduation
Project<graduation_project_2009 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
>    we are trying to write a python code to find  info about the device
> driver for a certain udi, is that possible? and is it possible to
> enable/disable the device with that udi?

No there is no such interface in HAL. It depends too much on the
platform and device type to handle. I don't think, it would even
possible to offer a sane abstract interface for that, which would
cover all the nasty side effects of such a task.

HAL is in maintenance mode and no longer actively developed. In short,
better do not focus on HAL with any new project. And don't be upset if
nobody answers questions here, it is just that the focus of the
developers has moved to DeviceKit-disks, DeviceKit-power,
NetworkManager, PulseAudio, udev, ...

Thanks and good luck,
Kay