patch for old IBM thinkpad X40, fixes issue with backlight remaining off after resume

Andreas Jabs andreas.jabs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 06:22:57 PDT 2009

Hello,

after upgrading ubuntu, my thinkpad did not resume correctly after
suspend, the backlight stayed off. This machine needs either a vbe post
or the s3bios quirks to resume correctly.

After some inquiry, I found that in 20-video-quirk-pm-ibm.fdi, line 107
 a very generic override sets all quirks to disabled for X40.
This is after very specific probing for different bios versions etc. to
get the right quirks ( specifically the s3bios and s3mode)

A patch is attached which undoes the "disable quirks" for laptops of the
series the same as mine (2371). There are some X40 around with other
series info that should need the same treatment ( notably 2372 series),
but it seems to me that the override based on hardware.version should be
replaced by a more specific filter.
There are a few different versions of those laptops around, and
generically setting an option by Make/Model seems dangerous to me.

I am willing to test specific stuff on my machine, if need be.

Thanks, Andreas

P.S.

Compare the following discussions:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pm-utils/+bug/292256

this is what hal says about my laptop:
lshal | grep system.hardware
  system.hardware.primary_video.product = 13698  (0x3582)  (int)
  system.hardware.primary_video.vendor = 32902  (0x8086)  (int)
  system.hardware.product = '2371W3F'  (string)
  system.hardware.serial = 'xxxxxxxxxxx'  (string)
  system.hardware.uuid = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'  (string)
  system.hardware.vendor = 'IBM'  (string)
  system.hardware.version = 'ThinkPad X40'  (string)
lshal | grep system.firmware
  system.firmware.release_date = '08/31/2006'  (string)
  system.firmware.vendor = 'IBM'  (string)
  system.firmware.version = '1UETD2WW (2.07 )'  (string)