Replacement for hal-setup-keymap

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri May 8 06:28:46 PDT 2009

Hello again,

CC'ing hal@ to let people know who don't hang out on devkit-devel@
yet. Please see [1] for the complete thread.

Martin Pitt [2009-05-05 13:21 +0200]:
> I got quite the hang of adding model specific keymaps to hal-info
> these days, and I wondered what the replacement of hal-setup-keymap
> will be in the new udev/DK world?
>
> I didn't find any existing discussion about this. Is someone already
> working on this? If not, I'd be quite interested in helping out with
> this.
>
> I expect that the most conformant way forward would be to have udev
> rules which trigger on addition of an input device, do the matching on
> system vendor/product, and run a setkeycodes-like callout with the
> key map as arguments. In conjunction to that, there should be an XSLT
> which transforms our current hal-info keymap FDIs into those udev
> rules. Unless nobody else is working on this, I'm happy to take this
> on.

As discussed, it is done now, including conversion of all of
hal-info's current keymaps. I created my own udev-extra branch for
that, since I'm still waiting for a git.kernel.org account.

Testing is very welcome and utterly needed at this point! I tested it
myself on my Dell Latitude, and since all the Dells have the same
keymaps, Dell should be fine. I'm particularly interested in the Sony
and ThinkPad models, which don't send "magic" keys as high keycodes on
a standard i8042 atkbd, but as low keycodes on a separate input device
(30-keymap-module-* in hal-info).

For testing, install the new udev-extra:

 $ git clone http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/git/udev-extras-keymap.git
 $ cd udev-extras-keymap
 $ ./autogen.sh
 $ make
 $ sudo make install

And disable the current hal-info keymaps:

 $ sudo rm /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-*

Then reboot, and check if your magic Fn keys still work. Please send
success and failure reports by private mail, to not spam the list.
I'll fix the issues and send a conclusion back here in a few days.

For the Ubuntu using folks I put this into my personal package archive
[2] as well.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback,

Martin

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-May/000152.html
[2] https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/ppa