[Pm-utils] Migrating suspend quirks away from hal

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 08:15:36 PST 2009

2009/11/13 Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>:
> Bear in mind that with current kernels, resume should work without
> quirks on all intel and radeon, and will basically never do anything
> useful on nvidia. These are very much a legacy holdover, and at this
> point I'd recommend dropping support for them entirely.

So, in pm-utils we strip away any quirks for users of the proprietary
nvidia and fglrx drivers.
And also for any KMS enabled kernel and users of the i915 module (for intel).

What is the current status of KMS for radeon and noveau? Is radeon KMS
still marked as experimental?
What do we do about users of radeon w/o KMS, nv or intel w/o i915?

Imo at this point it is a bit premature to rely on KMS only. Of course
we can just keep hal around for that purpose a little longer and safe
us the effort of a transition. My guess is, that Martin want's to get
rid of hal completely for a default GNOME desktop install in Lucid?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?