[HarfBuzz] New Indic standard?

G Karunakar indlinux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:31:01 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Ed Trager<ed.trager at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What does such a test suite involve? In the past, we have prepared
>> a list of base characters, plus allowed conjuncts (along with
>> example words) for some Indic languages in ICU. Along with these,
>> we have prepared screenshots of the expected rendering, which can
>> be compared to Harfbuzz rendering. Does that suffice?
>>

> Is the pre-existing list of base characters plus allowed conjucts that
> you prepared for ICU testing comprehensive?
>
> If not comprehensive, can you provide a ballpark percentage of how
> much has been covered or not?
>
> Does it cover ALL the "major" languages commonly written using one of
> the Indic scripts, or just some of them?
>
> Are there annotations indicating, for example, conjuncts that are
> specifically allowed for some languages (say, perhaps classical
> Sanskrit) but not allowed or deprecated or considered old-fashioned
> etc. for some other languages (say, Modern Hindi)?
>
> Ideally we need to know more details about what you or anyone else has
> available before the question of "sufficiency" can be settled ...
>
> Where is the URL for the ICU test suite that you mention?  I would
> like to look at that, as I am sure others would too.  Having a test
> suite that is publically available would be a great first step.
> Setting up such a resource so that people could contribute / edit /
> add additional test cases would be a great next step.

Perhaps not for ICU, but UTF-8 text samples have be made for some languages..
Atleast the ones I can immediately point to

List of practical two consonant conjuncts
http://indlinux.sourceforge.net/tdata/dev/conjuncts-hi.txt
with some example words
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hindi_Conjuncts

Sample text containing most of Devanagari characters (95% of current
Unicode devanagari range)
http://indlinux.sourceforge.net/tdata/dev/mahabharat.txt

Ok. dont have immediate rendering outputs availble as of now, put can
generate and put online.

Samples for Malayalam
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/Test_Data/Malayalam

Off course not very comprehensive test data to be directly used in a
test suite. Atleast for Devanagari/Hindi I can get back with such test
data in month.

Regards,
Karunakar