[HarfBuzz] Complex text layout for WebKit

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Mar 25 13:43:48 PDT 2009

On 03/24/2009 08:32 PM, Adam Langley wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Adam,

> I'm looking to implement complex text layout (a WebKit term for RTL
> esk text) for Skia, which is the graphics library which underpins
> Android and Chromium on Linux.
>
> Harfbuzz is the best fitting library that I've found (thanks!).

Yeah, using HarfBuzz directly makes lots of sense.

> Do you currently have plans to provide a Bidi API (UTF16 string ->
> HB_ScriptItem)? If not, would you accept one?

HarfBuzz is focused on being a shaping library.  There is FriBidi that
provides the bidi functionality.  Pango uses both.  Can't you use FriBidi?
pango_log2vis_get_embedding_levels() also does that, but it's less flexible.

A minor problem is that Pango only accepts UTF-8, and FriBidi only uses
UTF-32, so you will end up converting.

> Likewise, would you want code to provide the harfbuzz-external hooks
> via, say glib, in your tree?

Sure.

> If so, what's your preferred system?
> linux-kernel style inline patches, attached patches, git:// urls of
> branches?

Git branches sound good.

Cheers,

behdad