[HarfBuzz] Complex text layout for WebKit

Adam Langley agl at google.com
Thu Nov 5 10:22:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> Well, I know there are people in Google who have ported Webkit to use
> HarfBuzz.  They are on this list even.  I let them answer since I have no clue
> about what Android does.

Opps, thanks for highlighting this message Behdad.

Indeed, Chromium on Linux uses Harfbuzz and the code is in upstream
WebKit (platform/graphics/chromium). It's a bit of a hack but,
thankfully, Evan is fixing up some of the sharp edges.

The BiDi code in Android is shared across all WebKit ports. I don't
know the state of complex text layout in Android at the moment. You
should probably ask about that on the Android lists. If they wanted
it, the Chromium Linux code would probably work for them.

AGL