[HarfBuzz] Detecting ICU/FreeType without pkg-config?

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at sil.org
Mon Nov 30 14:36:04 PST 2009

On 2009-11-19 12:53 PM Neil Mayhew wrote:
> AC_CHECK_PROG(ICU, icu-config, have_icu=true, have_icu=false)
> would probably work as a replacement for ... PKG_CHECK_MODULES

I just discovered that someone has written a nice macro for this in the
autoconf archive (http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/, package
autoconf-archive on my machine).

You would use it like this:

AC_CHECK_ICU(3.6, have_icu=true, have_icu=false)

if 3.6 is the minimum ICU version that it should check for. It runs
icu-config and sets ICU_CFLAGS, ICU_CXXFLAGS, ICU_LIBS which can then be
used in Makefile.am (as is already being done in harbuzz-ng).

This would be a direct replacement for the current
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ICU, icu, have_icu=true, have_icu=false). I don't know
what the minimum version of ICU would be for harbuzz-ng, so I haven't
submitted a patch.

--Neil