[HarfBuzz] 'init' OT feature in Hebrew

Maxim Iorsh iorsh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 11 15:38:43 PST 2010

Hi,

I intend to use 'init' feature in a certain Hebrew font, but it seems there
is no support for this in Pango (at least not in my standard Inkscape
installation). Is it just my problem, or there is indeed need to implement
it somehow (in HarfBuzz/Pango/Inkscape/elsewhere)? Is it supported per
script or globally? Some Latin cursives also feature distinctive initial
letters.

To make it clear, 'init' is not necessary to render Hebrew properly. It is
just an artistic feature of a specific cursive font.

HarfBuzz code suggests that certain scripts (e.g. Syriac) do support it. If
it is indeed so, I would be grateful if you could briefly refer me to the
code which probes the word boundary and performs substitution.

Thank you,
 -- Maxim.