[HarfBuzz] [ft-devel] Re: About Gsub table in opentype.

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Nov 15 10:53:42 PST 2010

On 11/13/10 05:28, Miles Bader wrote:
> Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> writes:
>> Interesting.  I had totally forgotten about libotf.  I hope now that new
>> harfbuzz is in a usable state Kenichi abandons the libotf and helps
>> with harfbuzz.
>
> Do they do the same thing?  From the description it sounds like libotf
> is much smaller and more focused, and might be more appropriate for
> someone that only wants to get file info (which seems to have been the
> case for the original poster on this thread).

HarfBuzz does everything that libotf does and much more.  And is less than
twice the size (70kb vs 120kb).  The libotf-like API is in hb-ot.h.

> Maybe you're thinking of libm17n; that looks closer to harfbuzz in
> functionality.

That too.

> [BTW, is harfbuzz actually used anywhere yet?  I can't seem to find it
> in Debian...]

We have not made tarball releases yet because 1. it's changing fast and 2. the
API is not stable yet.  But we plan to reach a stable 1.0 before March.
Firefox 4 betas ship with HarfBuzz included.  And the harfbuzz-ng-external
branch of Pango moves forward with the master branch of harfbuzz.

behdad