[HarfBuzz] [ft-devel] Re: About Gsub table in opentype.

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Tue Nov 16 19:47:39 PST 2010

In article <4CDDB059.8080002 at behdad.org>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> writes:

> > To parse OpenType tables at low level and
> > obtain the substituted glyph index, libotf
> > might be useful.
> >
> > 	http://www.m17n.org/libotf/

> Interesting.  I had totally forgotten about libotf.  I hope now that new
> harfbuzz is in a usable state Kenichi abandons the libotf and helps with harfbuzz.

I too want to switch from libotf to harfbuzz, but at the
moment, harfbuzz is not released as an independent library
(and APIs are still changing), I can't catch a good timing
to shift to harfbuzz.

> > Maybe you're thinking of libm17n; that looks closer to harfbuzz in
> > functionality.

> That too.

I really hope to use libm17n's shaping engine from harfbuzz.
A few years ago, I asked you to include libm17n-based
shaping module in Pango, but there have been no progress,
perhaps because Pango is going to use harfbuzz's shaping
engines, right?  And, when I checked harfbuzz code a while
ago, it seems that shaping engines are builtin (i.e. not by
loadable modules).  Don't you have a plan of making it
possible that harfbuzz can use the other loadable shaping
engine?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa at m17n.org