[HarfBuzz] How to override Harfbuzz's freetype functions?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Apr 18 19:39:48 PDT 2011

On 02/02/11 03:44, Tom Hacohen wrote:
> Regarding the way implementing font functions is implemented: it's
> actually pretty annoying :( you can't sanely override single functions
> because for example freetype already uses user_data for something, so I
> can't use anything else unless I wrap each and every function :| We
> really could use an "internal user data" that will be used by the inner
> layer because wrapping each function is not only annoying, but very
> broken by design, because this means I have to assume the user_data
> freetype uses doesn't change, which is an internal design, and not part
> of the API.

Hi Tom,

During the HarfBuzz API review hackfest last Friday, Ryan Lortie and I spent a
good hour and a half to figure out the best way to solve this problem, and I
believe we've reached the best possible API given the circumstances.  I'll be
implementing that soon.  I'll write a separate email to the list about the
hackfest and the results.

Cheers,