[HarfBuzz] pkg-config not checked for by autoconf

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Aug 2 08:28:44 PDT 2011

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 08/02/11 11:15, suzuki toshiya wrote:
>> Shriramana Sharma wrote:
>>> How about the autoconf and libtool dependencies? Perhaps they are too
>>> elementary and it is "understood" that they should be present?
>> Hmm, the availability of autoconf is checked by the check for
>> autoreconf (which is included in autoconf package, usually).
>> I will check whether autoreconf issues some nice error if
>> libtool is missing.
>
> If autoreconf doesn't warn/err upon missing libtool, that's an autoreconf bug,
> please report to autoconf maintainers.

Indeed. I found that autoreconf issues understandable error
if libtoolize is missing, like,

$ autoreconf2.64 --force --install
Can't exec "libtoolize": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf2.64/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 347, <GEN3> line 4.
autoreconf2.64: failed to run libtoolize: No such file or directory
autoreconf2.64: libtoolize is needed because this package uses Libtool

So I think the check of libtoolize in autogen.sh is not essential.

> It also sounds like a Debian / Ubuntu packaging mistake if autoconf doesn't
> pull libtool in, but TMMV.

Sorry for confusing you. The reported error occurs in the case
when autoreconf is available but pkg-config is unavailable.
I guess no error by with-autoconf-but-without-libtool is reported.

> I'll fix the pkg-config issue though.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
mpsuzuki