[HarfBuzz] (noob?) Building HB

Bernard Massot bmassot at free.fr
Tue Aug 2 09:41:56 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 06:22:05PM +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> So now it got configured and I did make and it compiled, but what do I
> do to test rendering? Pravin said to do ./hb-view but there is no such
> binary.
>
> The main and test binaries in the src directory take a TTF file as
> input which I gave but it only outputs some sort of debugging data.
>
> I want to have a window in which to input text and see how HB renders
> it -- how do I do that? Should I then recompile gedit or something
> against HB? (Ouch if yes.)
Here is how I test HB.

I go to source root and update it :
$ git pull
Then compile it :
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/src/usr
$ make
$ make install
This way libharfbuzz is installed in $HOME/src/usr/lib and hb-view is in
$HOME/src/usr/bin.
In the terminal from where I want to test it, I set shell variables :
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/src/usr/lib/
$ export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/src/usr/bin/
I open a new file called "/tmp/test-indic" with leafpad (the lightest
Indic compliant text editor I know). I type my test text in this file
and save it.
>From the terminal configured previously, I run the following command
each time I modify the text to view HB rendering :
$ hb-view full_path_to_TTF_Indic_font "$(cat /tmp/test-indic)" | display

Note : "display" program is a part of ImageMagick.
--
Bernard Massot