[HarfBuzz] Renaming the shapers?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:31:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Arjuna Rao Chavala
<arjunaraoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Syllabic is very generic word in linguistics. It is better to stick to indic
> or  modify it with suffix like + (indic+) to indicate the support.

I'm sorry but I disagree. This is not linguistics. This is scripts,
which while related to linguistics, is not necessarily bound by the
rules of linguistics. And the whole point of the query from Behdad was
to have a more generic name than "indic". So I recommend to stick to
"syllabic". Or if you want: "abugida", which is *the* recognized term
for this kind of scripts.

And note that the other name for abugida is alphasyllabary, which
again comes back to syllabic. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abugida

--
Shriramana Sharma