[HarfBuzz] A problem in thai shaper

datao zhang dataozhang at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 03:57:12 PDT 2012

> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:16:17 +0100
> From: jfkthame at googlemail.com
> To: harfbuzz at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [HarfBuzz] A problem in thai shaper
>
> On 18/4/12 02:22, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> >> Incidentally, I came across this Typophile post, which is one example of
> >> why this "invalid" mark handling is not really a good idea:
> >> http://typophile.com/node/92130
> >
> > Interesting. I'm undecided about this as of now.
>
> Just adding my vote in favor of Khaled's position.
>
> The shaping engine should not attempt to enforce rules such as "only one
> vowel mark on each consonant" or "nukta cannot apply to vowels" (IIRC,
> MS may have relented on that one) or "the vowel mark must precede the
> tone mark", etc. That's the role of a (language-specific) spell-checker.
>
> JK

If shaping engine not attempt to enforce rules as your comments, it is necessary to anaylze the syllable of indic, because this belong to (language-spefic), the shaping engine only need apply all the feature that set by user. The user need analyze the syllable and decide to apply which feature should be applied. I don't think that is a good idea. not each of user is doing for a editor
so we can't expect each of user is a language expert. The editor can be used to check the word or other someting, but not the atom element (example the syllable of indic or thai).

Br,
Dean