[HarfBuzz] Issue with Sanskrit 2003 font

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Dec 28 21:32:47 PST 2012

On 12-12-28 09:26 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 07:20:28PM +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
>> Hello Khaled.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
>>> While testing an issue¹
>>> ¹ http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/88323/729
>>
>> I could not reproduce the issue on my system.
>>
>>> with XeTeX rendering of Devanagari using
>>> Sanskrit 2003 font², I noticed that the Harfbuzz output for the string
>>> “मन्त्र्यमाण” differs from that of Uniscribe (or ICU), but I know nothing
>>> about Devanagari to tell which is correct, so I’m reporting it in case
>>> it is a bug.
>>
>> Can you please post the rendering so I can tell you whether it is
>> correct or not?
>
> Output from HarfBuzz and Uniscribe attached.

Looks like eyelash Ra is being enabled incorrectly.  I'll take a look.  I knew
the old-style Indic scripts had some eyelash issues in HarfBuzz.  It's
probably very messy to fix, since this was one of the main reasons that the
OpenType Indic specs were redesigned...

Jonathan, since there seems to be a few tricky / very delicate Indic issues on
the table now, and the new Myanmar spec needs implementation, what does your
availability look like for February?

Cheers,
behdad