[HarfBuzz] (noob?) Building HB

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sun Feb 19 01:46:38 PST 2012

Looking at the Makefile.am in the utils directory, I see things like

if HAVE_GLIB
if HAVE_FREETYPE
if HAVE_CAIRO_FT
hb_view_SOURCES = \
  ...etc...
bin_PROGRAMS += hb-view
endif
endif
endif

which suggests that hb-view (for example) won't be built unless configure has found glib, freetype and cairo_ft. Your log indicates these were not found, hence the utility is skipped.

(You probably have the libraries on your system already, but need to install corresponding -dev packages in order to provide the headers for building code that links to these packages.)

JK