[HarfBuzz] Adding support for other libraries (Fog)

Petr Kobalíček kobalicek.petr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 09:31:24 PST 2012

Hello list,

my experiments with harfbuzz continue and I have some questions how is
the preferred way of adding support for other libraries in harfbuzz.
As I know that harfbuzz currently supports glib, icu, uniscribe,
freetype, and maybe other libraries. I'd like to add support for Fog
framework, but it's designed to be used only internally - Fog is going
to always use harfbuzz, so there won't be a need to use Fog and
harfbuzz separately.

I added code which adds support for mutex, atomic operations, and
unicode. Here I think that I should use "HAVE_FOG" macro, is that
right? And what about ordering, where should I place HAVE_FOG check,
before glib, after glib?

I'm quite confused here, because the support for all libraries is in a
single file - it can be a mess if more libraries will be added into
the harfbuzz, but I can live with it;)

My second question is related to the process of sending my changes to
the harfbuzz. What is the preferred way of adding support for more
libraries in harfbuzz? I mean is this somewhat limited or I'm free to
send here the patches?

I'd like to keep Fog synchronized with harfbuzz tree so I like the
idea that the support can be moved to harfbuzz and I'm able to
maintain it, but I also understand that my code is going to be usable
only when compiling with Fog, because of two-sided connection.

Best regards
Petr Kobalicek