[HarfBuzz] List of languages supported by harfbuzz

Samiullah Khawaja sami.khawaja at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 02:27:04 PDT 2012

Thanks, your help is really appreciated.

I have some more questions... how can i find direction of the text? Is HB
able to determine the text direction by itself?

I have a text that is a mixture of Arabic and English words i.e. a mixture
of RTL and LTR text. How can I use harfbazz to process that?

Best Regards,
Sami

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Adam Twardoch (List) <
list.adam at twardoch.com> wrote:

> On 12-07-04 11:15, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Samiullah Khawaja
> > <sami.khawaja at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there a list of languages supported by harfbuzz? Or it supports all
> the
> >> languages that are supported by the font in use?
> > HB doesn't support "languages". It supports "scripts".
> It also supports "languages" -- the OpenType component supports both the
> script tags and the language tags:
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/scripttags.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/languagetags.htm
>
> For script and language tags, HarfBuzz uses the ISO tags and then
> converts them into OpenType tags internally:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.h
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.cc
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.h
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.cc
>
> In OpenType, each character is categorized into a script, and then it is
> being processed using the "default-language" routine for a script. But
> it's also possible to specify a specific language to go along with the
> script (for example "arab/URD" means Arabic script, Urdu language), and
> the font can provide alternative processing for such language which is
> different from the default behavior for a given script.
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>

> --
>
> May success attend your efforts,
> -- Adam Twardoch
> (Remove "list." from e-mail address to contact me directly.)

Samiullah Khawaja
Software Engineer
email: sami.khawaja at gmail.com
voice: +(92) 0321-4184324