[HarfBuzz] List of languages supported by harfbuzz

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:06:05 PDT 2012

On 5 July 2012 05:08, Adam Twardoch (List) <list.adam at twardoch.com> wrote:

> It also supports "languages" -- the OpenType component supports both the
> script tags and the language tags:
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/scripttags.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/languagetags.htm

Looking at these docs, it would appear they haven't been updated for
some of the new script and language system tags supported in Windows
8.

> For script and language tags, HarfBuzz uses the ISO tags and then
> converts them into OpenType tags internally:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.h
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-common.cc
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.h
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/tree/src/hb-ot-tag.cc

I find the entries with description " /* I couldn't find the language
id for these */ " quite entertaining. Some of the "Languages" listed
there that I am familiar with are actually considered to be groups of
languages with each one having its own language code.

But then i suppose that is the nature of the 1-1, many-1, 1-many, and
many-many relationship between language tags and OpenType language
systems

Andrew
--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development

andrewc at vicnet.net.au
lang.support at gmail.com