[HarfBuzz] Lemongrass HarfBuzz Hackfest, end of day 1

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Jul 16 19:28:32 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I just pushed the commits from the first day of hacking.  There were meetings
and other things going on so it was a fairly short day, but we got some solid
five hours of hacking on Khmer.

We used the Daun Penh font shipping with Windows 7 for testing.  At the
beginning of the day, 85% of the tests from our Wikipedia test data where
failing.   Ie. everything was broken for Khmer.  Which wasn't any surprise,
since major parts of the Indic shaper did not recognize Khmer at all.

Five hours and 20 commits later, the failures are at under 3% now.  In
particular, we fixed a GDEF/GSUB issue (that has implications in other scripts
too), made the shaper recognize Khmer Ro, reorder pre-base reordering
characters, recognize Khmer register shifters and similar signs, and other
tweaks here and there.

There's more to be done tomorrow: change the syllable machine to recognize
post-matra subjoined consonants, etc.

Then we will attack Bengali again, addressing Ra Phala / Ya Phala, which seem
to constitute the majority of failures right now.

Then we'll take another look at Malayalam (which was improved substantially as
a result of implementing pre-base Ra reordering already).

More updates tomorrow.  In the mean time, the GSUB fix may have had addressed
the issue Khaled recently reported.  Khaled, would be nice if you can check that.

And would be nice if others can give Khmer with other fonts and report.

Cheers,
behdad