[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz on Windows

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Jul 25 16:50:03 PDT 2012

On 07/25/2012 07:18 PM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What about uniscribe? Will it be able to replace the icu/glib dependency. I
> thought I can get rid of icu/glib dependency by using uniscribe. Is my
> assumption wrong? What does hb-uniscribe.cc file in harfbuzz-ng source do?

hb-uniscribe.cc is a backend delegating the whole shaping to the Windows DLL.
 With that, you don't need any Unicode callbacks whatsoever.

It's not meant for production use, but it's actually not that bad.  Depends on
what your goals really are.

> Are there any Windows APIs I can use and write a layer on it to replace the
> icu/glib dependency?

Not that I know of.  I'll produce something tonight.

behdad