[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz on Windows

Bobby de Vos devos.bobby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:04:16 PDT 2012

On 12-07-25 05:50 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 07/25/2012 07:18 PM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What about uniscribe? Will it be able to replace the icu/glib dependency. I
>> thought I can get rid of icu/glib dependency by using uniscribe. Is my
>> assumption wrong? What does hb-uniscribe.cc file in harfbuzz-ng source do?
> hb-uniscribe.cc is a backend delegating the whole shaping to the Windows DLL.
>  With that, you don't need any Unicode callbacks whatsoever.
>
> It's not meant for production use, but it's actually not that bad.  Depends on
> what your goals really are.

Do you have to be running Windows in order to run HarfBuzz tools like
hb-view and hb-shape with a Uniscribe backend? Put another way, can
HarfBuzz be compiled and run on Linux with a Uniscribe backend?

My above question was for font development. If a font is being created,
it would be great to render it with HarfBuzz OT, Uniscribe OT, and
Graphite; to see if there are any differences. So the code that was
developed for testing HarfBuzz OT rendering versus Uniscribe OT
rendering might be helpful for font development, and not just for
HarfBuzz OT development.

Cheers,
Bobby

--