[HarfBuzz] Renaming the shapers?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Mar 6 17:28:35 PST 2012

Hi all,

Right now HarfBuzz has two complex shapers:

1. The one called arabic handles all cursive scripts (Arabic, Mandaic,
Mongolian, N'ko, and Syriac),

2. The one called indic handles (or eventually will handle) all scripts
requiring Indic-like, or simpler, reordering.

Now, as more people start looking into HarfBuzz, I'm sure this can only cause
more confusion.  Ie. people going around saying it only supports Arabic and
Indic.  So I'm leaning towards renaming them, to "cursive" and "reordering"
perhaps.  For some other scripts we would still need individual shapers.
Thai/Lao comes to mind.  Hangul maybe.  What else?

Anyway, what do people think?  I'd rather not to have to do this, but if it
reduces pain in the future, I'll do the work.